Meeting NIST SP 800-53 Security Controls
With the help of Blumira’s SIEM security platform and Blumira Agent for endpoint visibility, your organization can easily meet and exceed NIST 800-53 compliance requirements, including Audit and Accountability controls.
Get started at no cost with Blumira’s free edition, threat detection and response for Microsoft 365.
This provides guidelines on how Blumira helps address the needs of NIST 800-53 rev4 01/2015:
AU-1 – AUDIT AND ACCOUNTABILITY POLICY AND PROCEDURES
- Develops, documents, and disseminates to [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles]:
- An audit and accountability policy that addresses purpose, scope, roles, responsibilities, management commitment, coordination among organizational entities, and compliance; and
- Procedures to facilitate the implementation of the audit and accountability policy and associated audit and accountability controls;
- Reviews and updates the current:
- Audit and accountability policy [Assignment: organization-defined frequency];
- Audit and accountability procedures [Assignment: organization-defined frequency]
AU-2 – AUDIT EVENTS
- Determines that the information system is capable of auditing the following events:
- [Assignment: organization-defined auditable events];
- Coordinates the security audit function with other organizational entities requiring audit related information to enhance mutual support and to help guide the selection of auditable events;
- Provides a rationale for why the auditable events are deemed to be adequate to support after the-fact investigations of security incidents
- Determines that the following events are to be audited within the information system:
- [Assignment: organization-defined audited events (the subset of the auditable events defined in AU-2 a.) along with the frequency of (or situation requiring) auditing for each identified event].
AU-3 – CONTENT OF AUDIT RECORDS
The information system generates audit records containing information that establishes what type of event occurred, when the event occurred, where the event occurred, the source of the event, the outcome of the event, and the identity of any individuals or subjects associated with the event.
AU-4 – AUDIT STORAGE CAPACITYThe organization allocates audit record storage capacity in accordance with [Assignment: organization-defined audit record storage requirements].
AU-5 – RESPONSE TO AUDIT PROCESSING FAILURES
The information system:
- Alerts [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles] in the event of an audit processing failure;
- Takes the following additional actions:
- [Assignment: organization-defined actions to be taken (e.g., shut down information system, overwrite oldest audit records, stop generating audit records)].
AU-6 – AUDIT REVIEW, ANALYSIS, AND REPORTING
- Reviews and analyzes information system audit records [Assignment: organization-defined frequency] for indications of [Assignment: organization-defined inappropriate or unusual activity];
- Reports findings to [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles]
AU-7 – AUDIT REDUCTION AND REPORT GENERATION
The information system provides an audit reduction and report generation capability that:
- Supports on-demand audit review, analysis, and reporting requirements and after-the-fact investigations of security incidents;
- Does not alter the original content or time ordering of audit records.
AU-8 – TIME STAMPS
The information system:
- Uses internal system clocks to generate time stamps for audit records;
- Records time stamps for audit records that can be mapped to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and meets [Assignment: organization-defined granularity of time measurement].
AU-9 – PROTECTION OF AUDIT INFORMATION
The information system protects audit information and audit tools from unauthorized access, modification, and deletion.
AU-10 – NON-REPUDIATION
The information system protects against an individual (or process acting on behalf of an individual) falsely denying having performed [Assignment: organization-defined actions to be covered by non-repudiation].
AU-11 – AUDIT RECORD RETENTION
The organization retains audit records for [Assignment: organization-defined time period consistent with records retention policy] to provide support for after-the-fact investigations of security incidents and to meet regulatory and organizational information retention requirements.
AU-12 – AUDIT GENERATION
The information system:
- Provides audit record generation capability for the auditable events defined in AU-2 a. at [Assignment: organization-defined information system components];
- Allows [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles] to select which auditable events are to be audited by specific components of the information system;
- Generates audit records for the events defined in AU-2 d. with the content defined in AU-3
AU-13 – MONITORING FOR INFORMATION DISCLOSURE
The organization monitors [Assignment: organization-defined open source information and/or information sites] [Assignment: organization-defined frequency] for evidence of unauthorized disclosure of organizational information.
AU-14 – SESSION AUDIT
The information system provides the capability for authorized users to select a user session to capture/record or view/hear.
AU-15 – ALTERNATE AUDIT CAPABILITY
The organization provides an alternate audit capability in the event of a failure in primary audit capability that provides [Assignment: organization-defined alternate audit functionality].
AU-16 – CROSS-ORGANIZATIONAL AUDITING
The organization employs [Assignment: organization-defined methods] for coordinating [Assignment: organization-defined audit information] among external organizations when audit information is transmitted across organizational boundaries.
System and Communications Protection
SC-3 – Security Function Isolation
How Blumira Helps: Blumira Agent identifies anomalous and threat-like behavior associated with endpoints, and sends alerts to an organization. Blumira Agent’s remediation capabilities enable organizations to isolate the endpoint from the rest of their network to contain the threat and protect their systems from a compromised endpoint.
S1-4 – System Monitoring
S1-4(4) – Inbound and Outbound Communications Traffic
S1-4(5) – System-generated Alerts
S1-4(7) – Automated Response to Suspicious Events
SI-4(23) – Host-based Devices
How Blumira Helps: Blumira Agent monitors Windows endpoints (hosts) for attacks and indicators of potential attacks, including unauthorized access.
Blumira analyzes activity (including inbound and outbound communications traffic) to detect events, anomalies, and unauthorized activity; sending alert notifications to organizations about the threat finding with automated instructions on how to respond, or actions to take upon detection.
Blumira Agent enables organizations to respond to suspicious events by isolating hosts to cut off network access and prevent lateral movement.
IR-4 – Incident Handling
IR-4(4) – Information Correlation
IR-4(7) – Insider Threats
IR-4(13) – Behavior Analysis
IR-4(14) – Security Operations Center
How Blumira Helps: Blumira detects, analyzes and helps guide organizations through response to security incidents.
Blumira Agent provides a host isolation capability that enables organizations to quickly contain a compromised endpoint, investigate an incident with access to historical log retention, and aid in guided response with a SecOps team available 24/7 for critical priority issues.
Blumira automates the functionality of a security operations center (SOC) by detecting, analyzing and helping organizations respond to incidents in a timely manner, at scale through its platform.
Blumira’s SIEM platform correlates incident information collected from different sources of telemetry across an organization’s IT environment to provide match stacked evidence (alert stacking), helping by gathering relevant data in the event of an investigation. It also provides the ability to search event logs and generate security reports to help with forensics.
Blumira’s security engineers manage detection rules built into the platform that automatically analyze and detect events related to possible insider threats, as well as help with the analysis of anomalous or suspected adversarial behavior.
Get Started With Blumira’s Free SIEM
Blumira is a SIEM with threat detection and response that alerts your team about critical cyber threats in real-time and provides automated and actionable response capabilities that reduce the overhead associated with traditional SIEM products.
With Blumira’s free edition, secure your Microsoft 365 environment in seconds with coverage for unlimited data and users. With our free edition, you can:
- Use guided security playbooks to easily respond to threats
- View summary dashboard and reports
- Set up in seconds using our new feature, Cloud Collectors
For more coverage and support, you can easily upgrade to a paid version that fits your needs.