Security Challenges for Healthcare Organizations
Healthcare organizations have a heightened need to get their security and compliance right for a number of reasons:
- Regulatory requirements. First, healthcare has greater liability and regulatory requirements than almost any other industry. HIPAA alone includes 154 separate requirements with defined audit procedures, making monitoring them all an enormous task. Any breach can result in hefty government fines and an erosion of customer trust. In fact, healthcare is the target of 25% of data breaches, costing an average of $408 per lost or stolen record (Ponemon/IBM).
- Legacy infrastructure. Additionally, due to their growth through mergers and acquisitions, many healthcare organizations struggle with an influx of devices that are out of date or don’t work with their infrastructure. This makes it difficult to maintain uniformity in the environment and deploy an additional agent to detect and prevent cyber attacks.
- SOCs are too resource-intensive. To meet these challenges, many institutions use traditional Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), but those products only detect cyber attacks. Incoming events need to be addressed in real-time before any data is lost. Using a SIEM effectively often requires the build-out of a 24/7 Security Operations Center (SOC) with a team of IT security analysts to sift through alerts, determine the severity of each, take action on the most important ones, and maintain the system on an ongoing basis. In short, a SOC demands a skillset and resources that not all healthcare IT teams have available to them.
Common Security Issues Seen in Healthcare Attacks:
- Password spraying – This is a type of brute-force attack Blumira detects that is used by attackers to gain initial access into a local hospital’s system.
- RDP connections – Remote Desktop Protocol is often misconfigured to allow public IP access from the internet, which can result in ransomware. Blumira notifies you of any external attempts to connect via RDP to your network to protect against attacker exploitation.
- Lateral movement – Attackers will target hospital network devices for unauthorized access to enable them to move laterally through your environment. Blumira’s honeypots give you an easy, one-click way to detect and respond to these attempts.
How Healthcare Organizations Can Detect Cyberattacks With Blumira
Blumira offers an all-in-one solution that healthcare companies of all sizes and security experience levels can leverage. Blumira’s platform enables you to detect and respond to threats to prevent a ransomware attack and data breach:
Monitor and detect real threats:
- Deploy in minutes and hours, not weeks or months – Blumira is 5x faster to fully implement than other security solutions, increasing your time to security*
- Get meaningful, high-value alerts on real threats to reduce false positives and alert fatigue for your small teams so they know what to prioritize
- Gain comprehensive visibility with third-party integrations across cloud, on-premises and cross-platform; and track trends with security reports
Enable your team to quickly respond:
- Respond automatically through Blumira’s platform by blocking known threats
- Know what to respond to with Blumira’s prioritized alerts that tell you what’s critical and urgent
- Know how to respond quickly with the step-by-step playbooks that populate with every alert
Gain access to security expertise:
- Get responsive security advice from Blumira’s experienced security team
- Dedicated assistance with onboarding, deployment, integrations and rule management
- Advanced support for incident response to help with triage and provide logs for investigation and remediation
*Based on a comparison of 12 different SIEM providers on G2
Addressing the Healthcare Security Gap
With Blumira’s cloud-based advanced threat detection and response platform for healthcare organizations, your team will get the support it needs to secure your patient data.
Traditional SIEMs require months of setup that resource-strapped IT teams in healthcare don’t have. Blumira does all of the heavy lifting for you – we parse your data, write and roll out new rules automatically, and provide pre-written playbooks for response.
With Blumira’s free edition, you can detect and respond to threats in Microsoft 365. This makes it fast, easy, and free for IT and security teams in the healthcare industry to try Blumira’s platform before they decide to buy, using the team they have today.