Despite good people trying hard and investing a lot of resources, information security is broken. Existing security tools are expensive, complicated, and ineffective. The bad guys are winning.
We have a vision, a product, and a team that can turn the tide. By making good security simple and affordable, we can democratize it, helping smaller organizations that have been neglected, priced-out, or, simply—failed—by existing solutions. In helping them, we help their customers, and, overall, make the Internet a safer place for everyone whose data is on the wire.
Now, to succeed in our quest, we need help from smart and driven people, like you. You’ll be joining a small but growing team and will oversee a big chunk of the product. This will mean responsibility, and freedom; risk, and opportunity; anxiety, and exhilaration. You’ll build a lot, learn a lot, and grow a lot as an engineer and mentor. The challenge is big, but so is the reward for getting this right. Are you in?
How You’ll Help
As a Senior Engineer at Blumira, you will utilize your experience to develop new and improve existing software for our SaaS security product, independently and via mentorship. At Blumira, we solve problems quickly to support our customers; so, you’ll balance a desire for correct, clean, and performant systems with the need to move fast. On this adventure you will:
- Solve information security problems using well-worn and cutting-edge approaches.
- Build and maintain scalable API microservices that leverage the Blumira data processing, storage, and detection mechanisms
- Leverage cloud IAAS and PAAS (Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services) to speed up development time and improve scalability
- Develop proof-of-concept code for new ideas and features
- Work with Blumira security analysts and engineers to ensure applications meet expected use-cases and quality
- Deploy containerized applications using industry best practices on kubernetes
- Communicate effectively, with a willingness to mentor and guide other engineers
- Help us grow the engineering team by modeling best practices and encouraging a friendly culture
What You Bring
- Strong backend development experience from POC to final product release, ideally in a IaaS environment
- Broad experience in OOP development – Blumira mainly uses Python, but experience in other modern languages and a strong desire to learn is enough.
- Experience with development and maintenance of RESTful APIs
- Experience with Docker, utilizing and building images
- Excellence at self-managing time and projects, and independent problem solving
- Curiosity and a bias for action – you like learning new things, want to apply knowledge to solve problems, and prefer fixing things over complaining about them
- Motivation and a strong work-ethic – you enjoy building things that matter, getting stuff done, and helping people
- Bonus points: Love and knowledge of: systems, networking, GCP, security, Kubernetes, message queues, and/or databases
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation for the Ann Arbor area
- Meaningful equity
- Benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a company sponsored pre-tax retirement savings program
- An ambitious and friendly team of supportive teammates
- A chance to work on novel and exciting technical problems in the InfoSec space
- A flexible work environment, allowing working from home (or our Main street office!)
- Work-life balance; our startup is not a sweatshop
- Opportunity to have a huge impact as an early hire at a growing security startup!